- 18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- 19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."
- 20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
- 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
- 22 Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom,
- 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,
- 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
- 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.
- 26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.
- 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
- 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,
- 29 so that no one may boast before him.
- 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
Today, the ones who look for wisdom in this world and make up their own truth is what this piece of scripture calls "Greek". And what Paul calls "the Jew" is what we could say today are those who know the truth yet refuse to obey it.
Why is this important? Because without the absolute truth in our life we can never be okay. If we all live by our own personal truths and not the standards of God then our lives, experiences, values, ideologies and what have you collide. This is when all of the aforementioned problems come into existence.
Atheism, Humanism, Liberalism, and other "isms" that might be out there start to destroy these standards. Even though these groups can not always be grouped together nor be used interchangeably they still end up doing the same thing. They will try and take the value of truth, real truth, and distort it. Some do it out of ignorance, some for spite.
You're not okay. None of us are until we get back to the Absolute Truth: John 14:6
- Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Yes, it seems unfortunate, but sometimes, the truth hurts.